Thursday, December 29, 2011

Film and Fashion

Dear F,

You told me to pick a theme about something I love and write about it. I took a lot of time thinking about what I love. It took me a whole lot of time and thought to figure out what I love and could write about. At first I thought about how much I love maths but I didn’t think I could write a lot about that. Then I remembered how much I wanted to be an actress when I was younger and how much I love clothes and style now. I decided: I'm going to write about drama, films, plays, fashion, Icons and anything else that involves Films and fashion.

Today I watched a movie version of Great Expectations. It was so mesmerizing and meaningful. In case you haven’t read the book or seen the movie I’ll tell you a little bit about the story but don’t worry, I won’t spoil the ending for you.


Great Expectations

It all starts off with a poor little boy named Pip whose parents are dead so he lives with his sister and her husband Joe the blacksmith, they raised him. He is visiting his mother’s grave when the atmosphere suddenly becomes very spooky and you feel as though someone is watching Pip. As he was running back home through marshes, he was caught by a suspicious- looking man who demanded a file from him and then the man told Pip that if he didn’t give him a file, he would cut his throat. Pip ran straight back home and stole a file from Jo’s work room. When Pip gave the file to the man he also gave him a pie which touched the man. Suddenly another scary looking man appeared. A horn was sounded. Pip ran home but the suspicious- looking man used the file to break the chains that were keeping him where he was. He chased after the other man and they started fighting. As they were fighting a group of soldiers surrounded them and they pulled them off each over.

Later on Pip gets informed that the wealthy Miss Havisham is in need of a young boy and Pips uncle made sure that Pip was chosen. On visiting Miss Havisham, whom resembles a ghost, he is introduced to her adopted daughter Estella. Estella looks down on him due to his common ways and manners. Pip and Estella then become playmates and Pip frequently visits the house.

Later on Miss Havisham meets with Joe and Pip to discuss Pip’s future and signs a contract whereby she pays for Pip’s blacksmith apprenticeship to Joe. Pip is disappointed because he no longer wanted to be a blacksmith, and he is even more disappointed when Miss Havisham tells him that he should no longer come to the house.

Seven years later Pip is called to Miss Haversham who presents to him a now adult Estella. Pip is captured by her beauty but is once again let down when Miss Havisham announces that Estella is to go away to Paris before going to London to find a husband. Privately Estella tells Pip to forget everyone in that house, and never to come again.

Pip is then visted by the lawyer Jaggers, who informs him that he has a benefactor (who insists on remaining anonymous) and that this benefactor will pay for him to move to London and become a gentleman. The benefactor has made it clear that Pip must not enquire who the benefactor is and that he will find out when he receives him majority. He also said that Pip must be known as Pip and nothing else.

Pip then assumes that he mysterious benefactor is Miss Havisham and that she intends for him and Estella to end up together.

You’ll have to watch the movie to find out what happens next but I truly recommend this movie.

Lots of Love,

T x

No comments:

Post a Comment