Thursday, December 29, 2011

Books - War Horse

Dear T, 
The Immortal Icons of Style actually sounds really interesting. I'd love to have a look at it some time. Anyway like I said I'm going to do a whole bunch of book reviews for you, and even I'm starting with my favorites, you can be sure some are coming that won't be so flattering.

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

A horse, a boy, and a war. That's all it took to create the first book that ever made me cry. Michael Morpurgo weaves a tale of love and friendship, all through the eyes of a horse sent to fight in World War I. The characters are so real you will want to jump right onto the page with them just to make sure they do the right thing. Anything that can make the reader cry is well-written, but something that can make readers cry all five times they read it is exceiptional.
Joey is a little colt when a drunkard buys him and brings him to his farm. There, Joey meets the son, Albert, who takes care of him lovingly. 1914, and the family needs money. Albert's father does what he believes necessary, and takes Joey to the British army. Albert is only fifteen and cannot join. Joey will make and lose friends in this war, see horrors he never imagined in his worst nightmares. This is the tale of Joey, a war horse.
There is not much more to say. Don't worry, it's not gore or anything, just gripping and heart-wrenching and beautiful; short, but oh so powerful. It truly is amazing. I love it. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment